Book Review: Wink Poppy Midnight-April Genevieve Tucholke

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

General
Wink Poppy Midnight
Series: standalone
Pages: 247
Genre: Mystery, teen, fantasy
Rating: four stars







Buy it here: Amazon



Every story needs a hero. 
Every story needs a villain. 
Every story needs a secret. 

Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous. 

What really happened? 
Someone knows. 
Someone is lying. 




Going into this story, I wasn't totally sure what I was about to read. It seemed like a mystery, one where I would figure it out before the big reveal came, and the characters would be normal and the romance perfect. I didn't read reviews before this, I kept it vague because I wanted-on the off chance that it was good-to be surprised. 

Well, I was surprised. 

Let me first begin with this story plot. I finished reading this book, and I'm still a little lost. I feel like the mystery wasn't completely solved even though it was. Even sitting here now, I'm wondering and going over the ending over and over again. Because it was so surprising and different. It was good yet not. I'm so torn on this book.


The writing in this book is different. Okay, let's be real: this book was just weird. Like, really weird. I had no idea what I was reading most of the time, but I couldn't put it down. I needed to know what the heck was going on, and to do that, I needed to finish reading it. April has a way with words and keeping the readers attention focused. I could not let this one go. I needed to finish it. So I read it in a day, and here I am, trying to get my thoughts focused to write this review.

Midnight: the male Hero of this book. First off, people in this book have weird names. Anyway, he's our main Hero and to be quite honest, I didn't fully connect with him. I'm not sure why but he just fell flat to me. That doesn't mean I didn't like his character, but what you'll see as I continue on, I didn't really connect with anyone.

"I knew one's body, every dip, every inch, every toe, everybend. 
The other had her hand in mine and it was the first time we'd ever touched."-Midnight.

Poppy: Ah, one of the leading ladies. In the beginning, I hated Poppy. She was a bully who hurt everyone. I thought she was the worse person and I felt no sympathy towards her. She had rich parents, she jumped between guys, she messed with everyone's feelings. It was horrible. But as I continued on, something happened. Suddenly, I understood her. Everything she did, the way she spoke. Poppy is lost, and those who are lost wander until they find their rightful spot. That's what Poppy did. 

"But I plan on dying when I'm still young and beautiful like Marilyn Monroe, just watch me."-Poppy.

Wink: This is an interesting character for sure. I had no idea what to make of her. She was weird, different, and crazy. I usually like those characters, and while Wink is great, I didn't fully enjoy reading about her. I was mostly confused about her and her family, the stories she kept telling Midnight. 

"I shouldn't have kissed the Hero. The kissing was supposed to come at the very end. After the montser, and the fight. After the glass cofin and the pinprick of blood."-Wink.

There is barely any romance, so don't expect that. I don't usually read these kinds of books, but I just felt the need to, and oddly, it was nice. It was a simple story, yet so complex without the romance involved. 

The end is crazy. I don't know how to proporly talk about the ending without giving something away, so I'll just say that it blew me away, and for someone who usually has the reveals figured out, this one threw me for a loop. Everything wraps up nicenly. The Hero has a family, Poppy's ending was surprising and Wink... She still seemed lost to me. I don't know, you'll just have to read this to understand what I'm talking about. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS