Review: Cinder-Marissa Meyer

Friday, May 6, 2016

General
Cinder
Series: Book 1 in the Lunar Chronicles
Pages: 390
Genre: young adult, fantasy, science fiction
Rating: three and a half stars!





Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.
Marissa Meyer on Cinder, writing, and leading men


“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.” 

I started Cinder back in October, but only now have I finished it. Things got in the way, and to be honest, I wasn't feeling this book. Or at least the beginning, middle, and almost end of it.

Cinder is our main character, a cyborg-meaning she is a human/machine. She's obviously like Cinderella in this story. Cinder is curious, and has human thoughts and feelings, but can't completely express them. Her love for Peony, her little step-sister, was lovely to read about and I felt with Cinder at certain parts. She's talented as a mechanic, and I loved how everything resembled Star Wars. It added a cool element to the futuristic environment.

Iko is a robot that works for Cinder's family. She's adorable and always spouting off things that made me laugh. I'm glad she was there for Cinder through everything.

“Prince Kai! Check my fan, I think I'm overheating.” -Iko

Prince Kai is going through a lot! We got to read from his POV a few times, which was interesting and refreshing from Cinder's mind. Kai has to take care of his kingdom and put the people before him by doing something he doesn't want to do. He's brave, taking care of his people first and putting his feelings on the backburner.


I do wish we saw them more together. They were hardly together in this story, and I was a bit upset about that. The first half of the book dragged and I felt a lot of it didn't need to be in the story. The step-mother was horrid, as she should be. The Cinderella tale was there without overdoing it.The ball took forever to arrive, and it was certainly handled differently.

“She was a cyborg, and she would never go to a ball.” 

Queen Levana was an interesting character, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her. I hope her true colors shine more in the next few books, I would love more villainous acts from her.

This has three and a half stars because it really-personally-dragged from the beginning to a little over halfway and then it seemed to pick up the pace more.

“Believe me, Cinder. You are a sacrifice I will never regret.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS