Review: Everything, Everything-Nicola Yoon

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Everything, Everything
Standalone
Young adult
336
Five stars










My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla. 

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.
Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.




Could this book have possibly rid me of my slump? Well, I hope so. After three months of torment, I finally was able to read. Who knew it would be this on? I only got it because I heard it's going to be a movie, so i figured it must be good. 

Everything, Everything is about a girl who is sick of, well, everything. Maddy hasn't left her house since she was a baby. She spends her time reading (as would I), or playing games with her mom. Life is simple for her, yet there's always this wish for it to be different. For her to be able to go outside, be in school and have friends. Who wouldn't? Despite all this, Maddy is strong and lives with it. She doesn't brood, she doesn't scream or throw a fit because life has dealt her with one heck of a blow. She's calm and likes her days filled with books.

“Sometimes I reread my favorite books from back to front. I start with the last chapter and read backward until I get to the beginning. When you read this way, characters go from hope to despair, from self-knowledge to doubt. In love stories, couples start out as lovers and end as strangers. Coming-of-age books become stories of losing your way. Your favorite characters come back to life.” -Maddy

Olly lives next door with his non functioning family. He's curious about her and they soon begin to email. What's between them is a bond that starts as friendship and changes into more. Maddy doesn't think love can kill her, and sets out on a journey she knows will be life changing. 

“prom·ise (ˈpräməs) n. pl. - es. 1. The lie you want to keep. [2015, Whittier]”

I really loved this book. I don't typically read YA contemporary books much, but I guess the mood struck. I think the concept was interesting, and was wonderfully done. It almost has an uncertain feel to it, like wondering how it'll end well with her being unable to go outside and be with him. 

“You're not living if you're not regretting.”

What really had me was the delightful humor Maddy gave throughout the book. Especially in her journal posts. They really added to the feel, and made her seem like a real person and had real emotions.

Yoon wrote an amazing book with down to earth characters and story line. I look forward to reading her next book I have, The Sun is Also A Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS