Review: Vicious-L.J. Shen

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Vicious
Book 1 in the Sinners of Saints series
Romance
328
Four stars







Emilia

They say love and hate are the same feelings experienced under different circumstances, and it’s true. 
The man who comes to me in my dreams also haunts me in my nightmares. 
He is a brilliant lawyer. 
A skilled criminal. 
A beautiful liar. 
A bully and a savior, a monster and a lover. 
Ten years ago, he made me run away from the small town where we lived. Now, he came for me in New York, and he isn’t leaving until he takes me with him. 

Vicious

She is a starving artist. 
Pretty and evasive like cherry blossom. 
Ten years ago, she barged into my life unannounced and turned everything upside down. 
She paid the price. 
Emilia LeBlanc is completely off-limits, my best friend’s ex-girlfriend. The woman who knows my darkest secret, and the daughter of the cheap Help we hired to take care of our estate. 
That should deter me from chasing her, but it doesn’t. 
So she hates me. Big fucking deal. 
She better get used to me.

I'm so glad I found this book. I was in one of my book slumps (oh, who am I kidding? I've been in one for months now), and taking a gander in the store like I always do. The cover caught my eye, I mean, come on. I know we aren't supposed to judge a book by the cover, but how can you not when it's this great?

Anyway.

This one is a bit different from the usual read I like. Vicious is mean, and hateful. He teases Emilia down to her last breath, and he enjoys every second of it. Deep down, he's a guy who's just looking for revenge. Which is where Emilia comes in.

Emilia is poor, at least compared to Vicious. She doesn't get to throw caution to the wind like he does. She has to work for it, and to help out her family, she does so without being honest to her parents boss, Vicious. This causes problems. Major ones. I like Emilia, she doesn't take Vicious' crap and throws insults right back at him, which of course he doesn't enjoy.

The story moves on a few years and they're basically in the same situation. Vicious is still a jerk with more money, and Emilia is working two jobs to keep her apartment with her sister, who is sick. There was some serious sexual tension between these two, and I just wanted to squeeze them together until they both realized that they like each other. It drove me nuts. But when it finally happened, it was great. Explosive.

This is a standalone story, and I'm looking forward to book 2, though I have no idea what it's about. Shen really knows how to write a story and draw you in. I couldn't put this one down, and I hope it's broken the silly slump I'm in once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS