Review: The Crown-Kiera Cass

Friday, August 5, 2016

The Crown
Series: book 5 in the Selection
Pages: 288
Genre: romance, science fiction
Rating: four and a half stars








In The Heir, a new era dawned in the world of The Selection. Twenty years have passed since America Singer and Prince Maxon fell in love, and their daughter is the first princess to hold a Selection of her own.
Eadlyn didn’t think she would find a real partner among the Selection’s thirty-five suitors, let alone true love. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and now Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more difficult—and more important—than she ever expected.


“You have to embrace the idea of imperfection, even if the thing that is most perfect for you.”



When I first started this series, I didn't think it would become one of my favorites. From reading about America's story to her daughters, this series was wonderfully crafted.

The Crown begins with Eadlyn rushing around, trying to take care of her duties as princess. Her mom is sick and can't be the queen right now, and as such, the king can't focus on his work. So Eadlyn steps up to take over some things while her mom gets better.

All the while, trying to find a husband. As if being a teenager is hard enough, she's got all of this on her shoulders. I couldn't do it.

“I clutched my chest, feeling my heart racing. “You treacherous, treacherous thing. What have you done?” 

The thing I love about Eadlyn is how strong she is. So many obstacles are being thrown at her but she takes it in stride. She wants to be a good leader and will do everything she can do to achieve that. 

The Selection is moving along a bit more fast this time. Eadlyn had to make some tough choices regarding the guys, and near the end, I was so worried for her. Like I said, she'll do anything for her people, including putting herself last.

I love each of the guys. They have their own personalities and slowly become meaningful to Eadlyn, making her harder to choose. Some have desires that aren't being in the palace and others are prepared to take step as the future king. Talk about a heavy choice! I adored Henry and Erik the most, they always made me laugh.

Now, here are the parts I didn't much like:

Eadlyn and her parents- I wish she had more scenes with them. I totally get that its Eadlyn's story, but I would have loved to see more interaction between them. There is this scene that I laughed at though:

“Need I remind you that this Selection was your idea?”

She sighed.

“Listen to your daughter,” Dad said. “Very smart girl. Gets it from me.”

“Don’t you want some more sleep?” she asked flatly.

“No, I’m feeling very refreshed,” he said. I wasn’t sure if it was because he wanted to continue the conversation or if he felt he needed to keep his attention on Mom. Either way, he was clearly lying.

“Dad, you look like death punched you in the face.”

“You must get that from me, too.”

“Dad!” 


The Elite-It would have been amazing if there was more time between the guys. Eadlyn barely got to talk and interact to them before she was charted away, so I feel like I didn't get to know them well enough.

The siblings-Like her parents, I hardly got scenes with her siblings. The times that we do, though, are very heartwarming.

Surprisingly, some secrets were revealed in this book that added some element to the story. I wasn't expecting a few things to come out, but it made sense and wasn't just something to be put in for extra words. While there were some aspects I didn't quite like, I loved the story. I totally recommend this to any who loves romance, coming of age, and dedication in a young woman.

"Happily ever after could be waiting in a field a mile wide."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS