Review: Being Brooke-Emma Hart

Friday, January 20, 2017

Being Brooke
Standalone
Romance, adult contemporary 
283
Rating : 3.0







My name is Brooke Barker...
And I'm a freaking disaster.
No, seriously. I’m a college drop-out working a dead-end job, my best friend Carly’s dog gets more action than I do, and I have more bad dates in my diary than there are movie remakes.
Not to mention I'm completely and utterly in love with Cain Elliott.
The problem? He’s in a relationship. With a girl who’s so plastic she makes Barbie cry herself to sleep with jealousy.
The second problem? He's my best friend.
My shut-up-and-put-on-Harry-Potter, yes-this-is-your-shirt, help-I-have-no-power, crap-I’m-out-of-tampons, kinda best friend.
And that’s all he can be, right?
Right.






Restraint isn't a skill I've ever learned— unless you count the fact I've made it just over twenty-four years and haven't been arrested for murder. With my temperament, that's worth celebrating. 

Girl, I totally understand. 

I'm not into reading romantic comedy's, or even watching them except for on the occasion. *Ducks from judgement* I'm not sure why I wanted to read this, but I guess the mood struck for something funny. I've only read a book or two by Emma Hart, so I knew a bit about her writing style and figured I would like this one, too. 

Brooke is in love. Not with the boy next door, or the hot CEO that happens to be her boss. No, she's in love with her best friend. He doesn't know, of course, why would he? If he did, it would ruin everything Brooke holds dear to her: their friendship. So she tries to keep it platonic, but as things start to heat up and hiding her love becomes more of a challenge than she'd like, she has a choice to make. 

I love Brooke. She's funny, down to earth, and totally knows whats up. She watches Harry Potter, drinks wine all day, and thinks scratching her back is too much of a workout. So, really, she's me but in book form. She's just so relate able and cool, and since she's like me, it was like reading about myself. Woah. She tries so hard to remain cool and passive around Cain (her bff slash crush. Keep up!), and often fails at times. I was constantly wondering how Cain couldn't figure it out, the poor girl had it written all over her body!

“Tonight has been the craziest, most insane night of perhaps my entire life—except the one I was born. I imagine that’s insane, coming out of a vagina and all that.” 

Cain doesn't realize his best friend likes him. He's too busy trying to ignore those feelings that almost, kinda swarm inside him. Besides, he's got a girlfriend already, he shouldn't be thinking about Brooke like that. But boy, does he! His girlfriend, I couldn't stand her, therefore, I don't have a name for her. Let's go with plastic Barbie. Plastic Barbie is exactly how her name sounds. She's fake, whiny, and doesn't like Cain hanging out with Brooke. (Plus, her boobs are obviously fake).


It took a while for Cain to get into gear, but when he finally did, everything went the way I expected. They had their share of problems and arguments, but found a way to get over them and their awkwardness. Man, their awkwardness was awkward.

“I'm twenty-four, it's a Friday night, and I'm waiting in for a take-out gyros and fries in my onesie. My life is just so exciting I can barely stand it.  ” 

By the way, the above quote doesn't match me perfectly. I'm 20, thank you.


I think this was a fun book. The plot was interesting even though the friendship to lovers thing happens so much. It can become a cliche type story, so I'm glad Emma Hart could make it different and entertaining. Her writing is great, and really kept me immersed in the story. 

I don't really dislike anything about this book, and while it was fresh, I felt like it missed something. But the characters really got my love and for that reason, its has three stars. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS