Review: My Life Next Door-Huntley Fitzpatrick

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

General:
My Life Next Door
Series: Standalone
Pages: 432
Genre: Teen/romance/contemporary
Rating: three and a half stars









The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.






“Maybe if I can just sleep for a hundred years, I'll wake up in a better story.” 

I haven't read a good YA contemporary in a long time. Sarah Dessen was always my go to for books like that. So when I decided to pick this one up, I looked forward to the same feeling Sarah's books gave me. Now,  have never read a Fitzpatrick book before, so I didn't know her writing style going in, but the cover and synopsis practically shouted "read me, I'm a contemporary you'll love."

And that I did.

Samantha is a teenager with regular problems, but her mom is running for mayor, her sister is always away, and the Garretts are causing some major curiosity. Samantha has done everything her mom has told her to do without complaint, but her summer is about to change because of the Garretts. Knowing she shouldn't, her curiosity gets the best of her and she's quickly surrounded by the Garretts and all their woes/happy moments. Samantha is wise but goes against her mothers hatred for the Garretts and spends more time with them, finding them the polar opposite of her family, and she finds this exciting and new. I see Samantha as this girl who wants more of a family and to know what love really feels like, so when she starts to feel it, she becomes uneasy and hesitant. 

“The Garretts were my bedtime story, long before I ever thought I’d be part of the story myself.” 

Until Jase.

Jase is one of the Garretts. He loves working on cars and is training to play football in the fall. His family is very important to them, and despite everyone's obvious distaste to his large family, he ignores the talking in stride and just loves them. He has his own concerns to deal with but it just as curious of Samantha like she is of him. 

“Hey, he says again, sitting down next to me as though he knows me well. “Need rescuing?” 

Jase's family was adorable! In a sharp contrast to Samantha's pristine, cold, and fairly empty house, the Garretts are messy, loud, and full of love. I loved reading the scenes with all of the siblings together. It reminded me of Cheaper by the Dozen! I adored George the most.

“Did you know that in space it's very, very cold? And there's no oxygen? And if an astronaut fell out of a shuttle without his suit he'd die right away?"

I'm a fast learner. "But that would never happen. Because astronauts are really, really careful."

George gives me a smile, the same dazzling sweet smile as his big brother, although at this point, with green teeth. "I might marry you," he allows. "Do you want a big family?” 


We don't see much of Jace's parents but they still have a huge impact to the story and troubles Samantha goes to.

Samantha's mom is always working, forgetting about her daughter and only being a mom when it serves her to do so and gain publicity. I didn't like her at all, which I suppose is the right response when reading this story. She was constantly on my nerves, and I knew she had to be at the center of everything, especially her distaste for the Garretts.

On the back of the cover, it says one night changes everything. It took a while to get to that part, but when it did, major conflict followed. I wasn't sure what would happen or how it would end. Of course, I was rooting for everything to be all happiness and rainbows, and for a second, I wasn't sure it would end that way. But it's an HEA. Just so you know ;)

While it felt a bit slow in the beginning, I did like this book. I found it thoughtful and different. I do feel like we could have had more time with the side characters, as Tim was my favorite. I wanted to see more of his growth and determination with getting out of his "funk." Luckily, there is a companion novel that's about him!

This was a great summer read about coming of age, battling the rough and often times smooth waters of romance, and figuring out how to stay true to yourself despite wanting to keep others safe.

“But here’s the truth: In movies, it’s never half so lovely as it is here and now with Jase.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS