Review: Between Here and the Horizon-Callie Hart

Thursday, November 17, 2016

General
Between Here and the Horizon
Series: Standalone
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
Pages: 270
Rating: Four and a half stars







Ophelia Lang needs money, and she needs it bad. Her parent’s restaurant is going under, and ever since she lost her job teaching third grade elementary, scraping enough cash together to pay the bills has proven almost impossible. Her parents are on the brink of losing their home. The vultures are circling overhead. So when Ophelia is offered an interview for a well-paid private tutoring gig in New York, how can she possibly say no? 

Ronan Fletcher is far from the overweight, balding businessman Ophelia expected him to be. He’s young, handsome, and wealthy beyond all reason. He’s also perhaps the coldest, rudest person she’s ever met, and has a mean streak in him a mile and a half wide. A hundred grand is a lot of money, however, and if tolerating his frosty temperament, his erratic mood swings and whatever else he throws at her means she’ll get paid, then that is what Ophelia will do.

Her new boss is keeping secrets, though. Awful, terrible secrets.

The ghosts of Ronan Fletcher’s past are about to turn Ophelia’s future upside down, and she can’t even see it coming. 




“You think you know me. You think you want to know me. But trust me, Miss Lang. Pursuing me will be the worst mistake you ever make. I’m broken beyond repair…

…and I take gre
at pleasure in breaking everyone else around me.”

Let me begin by saying...

What.

Happened.

Okay, let me give you a little background. This story started out typical. I figured the heroine would end up with the lonely man with two kids after having a rocky start. It happens, I've read plenty of romance books with this premise.

But then things got... weird.

Okay, now a little more background. Ophelia needs money for her parents, or their restaurant will go under, and since she lost her job as a teacher, she needs something. A interview to tutor two kids for six months appears just at the right time, and she takes it, hoping that it'll go okay. It doesn't, or so she thinks. 

After taking the job, she starts. It's only been a few days since she got hired and she's gotten to know the man who hired her. Ronan is a single father after his wife died. He's been trying to make it work but knows he isn't doing the best job he can. So he brings his kids to his home town to fix the gaping hole that has built over time. Only Ronan has some secrets, and Ophelia is about to learn them... whether she wants to or not.

Um, yeah. So this book was crazy. Like I said, I totally thought it was like every other romance I've read. Single woman falls for single father who's wife died some years before. He's stubborn and they fight before he comes to his senses. Yada yada yada, right? Well this one isn't like that. It does a complete 180 and I was thrown-not for a loop but from a shove off a cliff. I was gobsmacked. So much so, I just wrote gobsmacked. I can't say much more without giving something away, yet I want to discuss this book so much. It affected me, that's for sure.

“He was a man possessed. I was a woman lost. Together, we were two halves of something fragile and delicate, beautiful in its complexity.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS