Things People Do To Annoy Readers

Saturday, April 23, 2016

We all know that one person (okay, more like 50) who interrupts our reading time. They, completely oblivious to our reading, butt in and start demanding that we spend time with them, or tell us to clean our room (just me?). I tell these people all the time that it's not okay to do that. Us readers get lost into a different world, and pulling us back in the middle of it, is dangerous. To you. We could accidentally toss our beloved book at someones face for interrupting our book time.

I repeat: toss our beloved book at your face.

Now that we have that written down, and hopefully someone relates to that because this ain't no joke.

1. THE LYING READER

You know them. They say they've read a certain book, that it was good but some parts were so boring that they had to put it down. They're like, "yeah, I've read The Hunger Games. It wasn't that good." That's besides the point, especially when you ask a question about it. It could be about a certain scene, or what exactly didn't they like. This is the moment. When their eyes get shifty and suddenly they can't form a proper sentence. THEY CAN'T ANSWER BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T REALLY READ IT. Why are you lying? I don't have time for this. Just say you haven't read it and be on with your life.

2. READING OVER OUR SHOULDER

Oh, don't get me started.

Too late.

Okay, really? I get it! You didn't bring a book, or maybe you're bored and have nothing to do and want to converse with me. Believe me, I get it, but that doesn't mean you can stand over me like a stalking bean pole! Go play Candy Crush for like, another hour or so!

3. THE JUDGE GUY

Oh, you're reading that? But it's romance!

Well, no duh its romance. I love romance. In fact, I can't read anything without romance in it! That's who I am. This question always gets me. What's wrong with what I love to read?

Oh, you have an ereader? *says with snooty tone and uplifting of nose*

I hate to break it to you, my judgemental friend, but an ereader works just as well as a physical book. In fact, it's sometimes easier to carry around! It has the same words, same text, and *gasp* the same ending! So don't go judging what I read. Capiche?

4. ANTI-BOOK

"Reading is boring." "How can you read all day?"

*Shakes head wildly* What.... Let me fill you in on this, shall I, Tina? First off, reading is not boring. It's better than being stuck in our current world. Secondly, go away. Well, after I finish this post anyways. Reading makes an impact. Like above, it takes the reader into a different world, and maybe that person needs to mentally leave for awhile. It gives us a much-needed break from reality. Plus, the worlds are amazing! Who wouldn't want to be a wizard? Or a Shadowhunter? Or even a werewolf? Reading lets us be all of these things.

5. BOOK DESTROYER

What might be the worst offender on this list. It shows who I trust, though even the most trusted I wouldn't lend my books to. Unless you're an avid reader-a bookworm, a bookdragon-then you have no idea how to care for a book. When I hand you one of my prized books, my lovelies, that doesn't mean you can destroy it. I get it, it isn't yours so you don't need to roll out the red carpet and tuck it into bed every night(no, I don't do that. Okay, maybe occasionally), but it does mean that you should at least make sure that all pages, cover, and spine are intact.

I don't want to see pages ripped and/or missing, the cover has coffee stains, or the spine having been shredded. That's not only my book you've ruined, but books are also expensive. So stop it.

6. THE "I KNEW IT BEFORE YOU SO I'M COOL"

No, just because you knew about Six of Crows before anyone else, does not,in fact, make you cool. It means you have stumbled upon a book before it was fully found. Don't go blabbing to people that you're cool for that. Just, no...

7. THE TALKER

Now, this one really ruffles my book pages...

Just because I am in the room with you, does not mean that you can talk. You see that square, thick paper in my hand with a beautiful cover? Or the black, think ereader? Yeah, it's called a book. I'm reading. I'm busy. Leave me alone.

Or how about when you're nearing the ending, the pages flying by as you rush to figure out if Tony really did murder that Rachel girl? And what does someone do? They walk in and start talking, or they call for you to do the dishes (Yeah, I'm talking to you parents). Being curled up in the fetal position, obviously means that I don't wish to be interrupted.

People.


Okay, my lovely readers, that is the end of this post. I hope you liked what you read and that you'll leave me a comment below, because it's much appreciated, and I want to know what annoying things happen to you as a reader. Let me know!







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS